Saturday, May 14, 2011

Trip down memory lane

Occasionally when I head out to my parent's farm, I drive through the little town that I called "home" for the first 19 years of my life. Barely a blink on the map, really. It's hard to imagine that even in such a little outta-the-way place, so many things can happen. Of course, because LIFE happens, and it's all unique and monumental, no matter how big or small.

As I slowly idle along memory lane, I pass the school that I attended K-8. It still looks pretty much the same, except the paint is peeling a bit more :) and it seems to grow smaller with time.

I point out the church I attended - where I went to youth group, got baptized, sang in the childrens choir and discovered the ups and downs of young friendships.

And always always always, I then drive by my beloved Grandma's place. She died when I was in grade 5. A surprise to us all, really. She was a good friend for me. As grain farmers, my parents were often busy during those harvest weeks, and so we spent those days in the care of Grandma. She was spunky and gentle. She loved WWF wrestling and Young and the Restless. She was a devoted Christian, creator of tea parties and a fabulous gardener. She taught me to play Scrabble and how to crochet. Her house always smelled like freshly baked buns and homemade soup. Of course, I am biased, but I think she was a saint. Hers was my first encounter with death, and it was very difficult for me. Even now, 22 years later, it still makes me sad.

And then, out to the farm. I love bringing the kids out to mom and dad's place. So many adventures and memories and milestones (and not all easy ones, either :P). And I love creating new moments with my family there. I hope my kids feel the same way about their own home someday.

Excessively dwelling on past things is not always healthy. Sometimes, however, remembering is a good thing. It creates appreciation for what once was, what can be and lessons (some very tough lessons!) learned along the way.

What adventures are along your trips down memory lane?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails